PROFESSOR RUI RIBEIRO, MD
LITERARY AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Graduation in “Medicine” (Lisbon University, Portugal 1986), “Senior Consultant” in General Surgery.
MAIN TOPICS OF PROFISSIONAL INTEREST
- Morbid obesity diabetes surgery, gastro-esophageal reflux, gastric diseases, colo-rectal pathologies, hernia surgery, laparoscopic surgery and SILS pioneer in Portugal. Performing SILS sleeve and gastric bypass on a regular basis.
HOSPITAL DIRECTIVE RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinator / Director of the: “Centro Multidisciplinar da Doença Metabólica” (CMDM) at the “Clínica de Santo António - Lisboa”.
- Clinical Director of the Lasercenter Lda, a private Health care company in Portugal.
- Former President of the Portuguese Society of Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery since March 2010 up to October 2016, President of the General Assembly
- Former Coordinator / Director of the: “Unidade de Tratamento Cirúrgico de Obesidade e Doenças Endócrinas (UTCODE) at the “Centro Hospitalar de Lisboa Central”.
ADVANCED SURGICAL TRAINING RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performed about 6000 surgeries, 4500 by laparoscopy
- Faculty at “Centro de Cirurgia Minima Invasion Jesus Usón” courses, CCMIJU – Caceres, Spain.
- Developing and proceeding with “Clinical immersion courses” for European surgeons in our Hospital.
- Former lecturer and proctor in the “Masterclass Courses in Metabolic Surgery” in the European Training Center (ETC – Elancourt, Paris)
- Author of twelve surgical scientific papers in medical literature (Portuguese and International)
- ”Lecturer” in different Portuguese and International events;
- Presentation, as author, of about fifty papers in the surgical area, several of them in International events, including European and World Congresses about Bariatric Surgery
- Several presentations on TV, radio and newspapers in Portugal about Obesity and diabetes surgery and SILS.
- Member of the Editorial board of different journals: BMI (Bariatrica y Metabolica Ibero-americana); Obesity open access; Obesity and Stress Management
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the High Tech Surgery Association (HTC).
- Member of the Board member of the MGB/OAGB Club.
- Reviewer of the journals “Acta Médica Portuguesa”, “Revista Portuguesa de Cirurgia” e “BMI”.
- Honorary member of the “Romanian Association for Endoscopic Surgery”.
- Member of the Sociedade Portuguesa de Cirurgia (SPC).
- Member of the Sociedade Portuguesa de Cirurgia de Obesidade (SPCO).
- Member of the International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity (IFSO).
- Member of the Sociedade Portuguesa de Cirurgia Mini-invasiva (SPCMIN).
- Member of the International Bariatric Club (IBC).
∙ President of the SPCO General Assembly (Sociedade Portuguesa de Cirurgia de Obesidade)