Dr. Abdullah M.A.T Almulaifi M.D., FACS, FASMBS, FICS, MRCSEd, MRCS Eng., MRCS Glasg
PERSONAL INFORMATION____ _______________________________
Nationality: Kuwaiti Languages: English, Arabic
CURRENT POSITION____________ _____________________________
- Consultant GS/M.I.S, at Jaber Al-Ahmed Armed Forces Hospital, Kuwait (Head of department of surgery)
- Privet practice at View clinic, The View, Gulf Rd, Salmiya -Kuwait
- Privet practice at My health clinic, - Kingdome Bahrain
- Privet practice at Viva Medicare , - Oman CURRENT PRACTICE____________ _____________________________
- The scope of current practices includes all Aspects of General surgery, surgical oncology and bariatric surgery in particular (sleeve gastrectomy, LAGB, LRYGB, Mini Gastric bypass and Duodenal- duodenojejunal Bypass), Endoscopic procedures (upper/lower G.I and intra-gastric balloon insertion).
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE_______________ ____________________
- Head of Surgical department and MIS/ Bariatric Division, at Jaber Al-Ahmed Armed Forces Hospital, Kuwait from (2015- till present)
- Consultant GS and MIS Surgeon 2016, at Jaber Al-Ahmed Armed Forces Hospital, Kuwait- Primary Hospital
- Clinical Fellowship from 2013 -2014 in Bariatric / Metabolic Surgery & advance Laparoscopic surgery at Min-Sheng General Hospital- Asia-Pacific Endoscopic and Bariatric Surgical Center under the supervision of Prof. Wei-Jei Lee. President of IFSO-APC, International clinical MIS fellowship 2014 at department of surgery at university of Minnesota- USA Supervised by Prof. Sayeed Ikramdden & Dr. Henry Buchwald
- Specialist GS and MIS Surgeon 2013-2016, at Jaber Al-Ahmed Armed Forces Hospital, Kuwait- Primary Hospital
- Senior Registrar General Surgeon 2010 - 2013, at Jaber Al-Ahmed Armed Forces Hospital, Kuwait- Primary Hospital
- Residency in General Surgery Kuwait Institute for Medical Specialization (KIMS) of the Ministry of Health- 2004-2010. (KBS).
- Job started (Internship / Assistant Registrar) at Farwania Hospital on 1999 then at Department of Surgery - Armed Forces Hospital –Kuwait until 10th April 2004
- Board Certified in general surgery – KBS 2010
Surgical College Member /Fellow:
- Fellow of International college of surgeons (FICS) 2018
- Fellow of American college of surgeons (FACS) 2015
- Fellow of American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (FASMBS) 2015
- Membership of the Royal College Of Surgeon Of England 2013
- Membership of the Royal College Of Surgeon & Physician Of Glasgow 2012
- Membership of the Royal College Of Surgeon Of Edinburgh 2010
- 1993-1999: Arabian Gulf University (Kingdome of Bahrain)
- Degrees awarded: M.D (Arabian Gulf University)
- Conferred on: 29th Jun 1999
- Obstructive jaundice: a rare complication of laparoscopic greater curvature
plication. 2013 Oxford Journal of Surgical Case Reports
- Roux-en-Y gastric bypass for lower esophageal submucosal cancer in an
obese diabetic patient. (Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2014 Apr 24).
- Acute gastric remnant dilatation, a rare early complication of laparoscopic
mini-gastric bypass. (Asian J Endosc Surg. 2014 May;7(2):185-7).
- Duodenal–jejunal bypass with sleeve gastrectomy versus the sleeve gastrectomy procedure alone: the role of duodenal exclusion(Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, 2014)
- Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy for type 2 diabetes mellitus: predicting the
success by ABCD score. (Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, 2014)
- Medium-Term Results of Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy: a Matched
Comparison with Gastric Bypass (obesity surgery 2015)
- The Effect and Predictive Score of Gastric Bypass and Sleeve Gastrectomy on Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Patients with BMI < 30 kg/m2. (obesity surgery 2015)
- Gastro-intestinal Quality of Life after Metabolic Surgery for the Treatment of
Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. (obesity surgery 2015)
- Recent advances in bariatric/metabolic surgery: appraisal of clinical
evidence (Journal of biomedical research 2015)
- Effect of Bariatric Surgery vs Medical Treatment on Type 2 Diabetes in Patients
With Body Mass Index Lower Than 35: Five-Year Outcomes. JAMA 2015
- Letter to "Predictive Factors of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Remission Following
Page 3 of 7
Page 4 of 7 Bariatric Surgery: a Meta-analysis".(obesity surgery 2015) 12. Bariatric versus diabetes surgery after five years of follow up. Asian J. Surgery
- Reply to the Letter "Gastric Remnant Dilatation: a Rare Technical Complication
Following Laparoscopic One Anastomosis (Mini) Gastric Bypass" ".(obesity surgery 2017)
*Almulaifi Google scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=NrnLbqAAAAAJ&hl=en&oi=ao
- Intractable Marginal Ulcer after gastric bypass in morbidly obese patients: A comparison of Roux-en-Y bypass and one anastomosis (Mini) bypass. At SAGES 2014 Salt Lake City USA
- Bariatric vs. Diabetic Surgery: A 5 Year Experience. IFSO 2014 Montréal- Canada
- Long-term effects of Metabolic Surgery in patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. IFSO 2014 Montréal-Canada
- Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy with Gastric Plication vs Sleeve Gastrectomy Alone. ASMBS-Obesity week 2014 -USA
- Single-Anastomosis Duodenaljejunal Bypass with Sleeve Gastrectomy (SADJB- SG): Diabetes Remission in First 100 Patients. ASMBS-Obesity week 2014 USA
- Surgical vs Medical Therapy for Diabetic Patients with BMI < 35 Kg/m2: 5-year outcomes. ASMBS-Obesity week 2014 USA
- Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy for type 2 DM: Predicating the success by ABCD Score. IFSO 2015 Austria
- Long term effect of metabolic surgery for the treatment of diabetes -A matched comparison with medical treatment. IFSO 2015 Austria
- Single-anastomosis Duodenal-jejunal bypass with sleeve gastrectomy Vs RY gastric by bypass: Mixed Meal Study. ASMBS-Obesity week 2015-LA
- Predicting T2DM Remission after LSG: A comparison of DiRim and ABCD scoring system. ASMBS-Obesity week 2015 –LA
- A COMPARISON BETWEEN DIA REM AND ABCD SCORING SYSTEM IN PREDICTING T2DM REMISSION AFTER SLEEVE GASTRECTOMY 2year Update. IFSO Aug, 2017 UK
- Mixed Meal study a comparison between single anastomosis duodenal-jejunal bypass with sleeve gastrectomy and R-Y gastric bypass, A 5years follow up. IFSO Aug, 2017 UK
- A comparison of Single anastomosis gastric bypass and RNY gastric bypass in intractable anastomotic ulceration IFSO Dubai 2018
ACHIEVMENTS, AWARDS __________________________________
- 2015 obesity week Los Angeles Distinction award two paper presentation : ❖ 1- Single-anastomosis Duodenal-jejunal bypass with sleeve gastrectomy Vs RY Gastric by bypass: Mixed Meal Study. ❖ 2-Predicting T2DM Remission after LSG: A comparison of DiRim and ABCD scoring System.
- 2014 awarded Top Paper session at IFSO 2014 world conference - Montréal- Canada –for presenting my paper titled (Single-Anastomosis Duodenal– Jejunal Bypass with Sleeve Gastrectomy versus Sleeve Gastrectomy Alone: The Role of Duodenal Exclusion - A One-year result).
- Certificate of Excellent Achievement (Honor) for performance in the field of Advance laparoscopic surgery and scientific research during clinical Fellowship - 2013 - 2014.
- The Golden award of high standers performance fellow (Honor) during clinical Fellowship - 2014
2004-2010 (surgical residency): Awarded excellent evaluation in:
- General Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
SPEAKER at INTERNATIOAL CONFERENCESE ________________
- Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Society MBSS conference -Thailand 2014
- The world conference of International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders (IFSO)- Canada 2014.
- The world conference of International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders (IFSO)- Vienna 2015.
- GOSS Gulf conference -Dubai 2015
- Obesity Week 2015 world conference-USA California 2015
- AKupas Conference – Kuwait 2014
- The first bariatric real video conference -Kuwait 2015
- Bariatric Endoscopic surgery Trends-B.E.S.T- Kuwait 2016
- AKupas Conference – Kuwait 2017
- The first Kuwait association of surgeons conference –Kuwait 2017
- AKupas Conference – Kuwait 2018
- IFSO Dubai September UAE-2018
Page 5 of 7
ADDITIONAL TRAINING___________ __ ____ ___
2019 Basic Life support and Advance cardiac Life support (BLS ,ACLS) 2018 Apollo endosuturing - Germany (certified endosuturing Surgeon) 2014 Advance course in laparoscopic Bariatric & Metabolic Surgery.
IRCAD Taiwan. 2014 Diploma Advance Laparoscopic Surgery course Strasbourg University France 2012 Postgraduate Advance laparoscopic course in Bariatric Surgery. (CSTC) 2011 Advance course in laparoscopic Bariatric & Metabolic Surgery.
IRCAD France. 2011 Principle of medical education – Harvard medical school. 2010 Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS) – Provider Course (ACS). 2007 Advance Laparoscopic Surgery course. KIMS 2005 Basic Surgical skill, RCS 2002 Medical Management of Chemical and Biological Casualties Course, US Army
Medical Command 2003 Fundamental Critical Care Support Course – Society of Critical Care Medicine 2000 Basic Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Course. Kuwait 2000 Advance Trauma management at Armed Forces
TEACHING EXPERIENCE ___ _____
2009 Teacher at the “wet Lap”, Kuwait University-faculty of Medicine/RCS. 2004- 2015. Teaching/examination clinical clerks during their clinical rotations. 2009-2010 Lectured to medical students at Kuwait faculty of Medicine /RCS
MEMBERSHIPS & EXTRACARICULAR ACTIVITIES_______________
- Chairman of the WAMS International Board of Bariatric Surgery
- Member Of Obesity Society
- Member WAMS International Specialty Boards Commission
- Member WAMS International Board of Surgery
- Member WAMS National Council of Kuwait
- Member of the “WAMS Academy Faculty”
- Member of the “WAMS Executive Council”
- Founder and member of Kuwait Surgical Society
- Treasurer of Kuwait Laparoscopic & obesity Surgical Society (KLOSS)
- Member of American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS)
- Member of, Society of American Gastrointestinal and endoscopic Surgeons. (SAGES)
- Member of the International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders (IFSO).
- Member of Endoscopic and Laparoscopic Surgeons of Asia (ELSA)
- Member of the International Bariatric Club (IBC).
- Member in the Board of Directors of Kuwait Surgical Society.
- Royal College Of Surgeon Of Edinburgh Founder guardian (Heritage Society)
- Fellow of the Royal Society of medicine. RSM-London.
- Member of Kuwait Medical Association.
Page 6 of 7
Contact: Dr. Abdullah M. Almulaifi P.O. Box 3999 Mishref, Kuwait 40189 Tel: (+965) 66669922
- e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Instagram : @dralmulaifi